This blog is a personal history of the Ramsay family and their wonderful, wild, weird, wacky life. Scott and I (Jackie) thank God for the 4 precious children He has entrusted to our care for a few short years. People have been telling me I should write a book containing all the goofy things that are said or take place around our house, so here goes...



Friday, June 8, 2012

Do crickets taste like peanut butter?

     Levi bursts in the house, goes to the pan cupboard, takes out a small pan, puts something in it, and places it on the stove.  As he turns the burner on, I question what he is up to.  "I'm frying this cricket.  It's supposed to taste like peanut butter.  It said so on Wild Kratts."  I remain calm, congratulating myself on being such an open-minded homeschool mom.  "Really?  And you're going to try it and see?" I ask.  "Yup!" he answers.  Oh boy.  I look in the pan.  The cricket is half squished, but not fully dead, as it wiggles in the dry pan.  I have never liked crickets, but a feel bad for this one, being roasted alive.  "Wait, let me add some oil." I advise, and remove the pan from the burner.  The oil must have smothered it, because it never moved again.  We let it sizzle for 30 seconds or so, (I mean, how long does it take to cook a cricket?) and then Levi strains it out with a spoon, placing it on napkin to cool.  He gazes at it a minute, and says, "I need a knife to cut the legs off."  I give him a knife and he operates.  "And the head" he adds.  "Don't cut too much off, there won't be anything left!" I warn.  He picks up the unfortunate insect, and says, "I'll eat it outside."  "Oh no, you don't!  Eat it right here!" I insist, thinking he's going to toss it off the porch and say it was delicious, so Tirzah and Caelin will try one, too.  He gingerly places the cricket in his mouth, and carefully chews a couple times.  "How is it?"  I ask.  "Crunchy?  Does it taste like peanut butter?"  He fishes it out of his mouth, grinning sheepishly, "It doesn't taste like peanut butter!"  And with that, he ran off to play.     

No comments:

Post a Comment